Friday, February 08, 2008

Real Guitar Hero

Here is a discovery I did in the most unusual of places: The [FIV'07] (no, not the [FIB]). A good friend of mine, Alvarito, knowing of my passion for electric guitars, also self-erected DJ of the day, showed me this great guitarist whom I previously didn't know of but who captured me from the very beginning: [Kiko Loureiro]

The first piece I say, Enfermo ("Sick", see video below, which, funnily enough is the very same video I saw), I thought was a spectacular display of tehcnique and great musical taste. Apart from using "the tipical tricks" any lead self-respecting guitarist uses, such as tapping, false harmonics, sweep-picking and fast-picking, this master also combines techniques to do things like harmonic tapping slap-bang in the middle of a solo, chord tapping (see first video, my favourite), etc.

Also, being a brazilian by origin, you can hear the influences of his mother-land's music both in the rythms used as well as the chord sequences and scales used. Please note he has a blog right here, at Blogger:: [Blog Kiko Loureiro] (there is an [English] version).

He first "appeared" as a guitarist for [Angra], a (Power) metal band where, in my modest opinion, they used very little of this talented musician.

So without further ado (and not too deep today, it's friday), I'll let you get on with a couple of videos of his "No gravity" record (highly recommended!).

Tapping into my dark tranquility


Enfermo


Dilemma


And... strangely... the only Kiko Loureiro video I found on Stage6(!!?).







No comments: