Wednesday, March 19, 2008

DIY I (LED back light)

As some of you know, some time ago, fed up of paying 6€ a pop for each lightbulb of my bike's back light (and it carries 2) and the fact they only lasted a while, I decided to change the old tungsten filament system for a much more reliable and low-consumption LED system, which is now so highly in fashion they're using it on trafic lights, signs and yes, even back lights on trains, bikes and cars.

The problem is I commited a beginners mistake. I assumed (which makes an ass out of u and me) the voltage would be stable at 12 volts, but when on idle, it doesn't get higher than 11,3, which is inadecuate for the original circuit. Also, at full working voltage it ended up being less bright than I thought.

Here are some pics of the original light



So now, with a little more time and experience, and looking forward to my trip to Jerez, I decided to redo the light.

We start by making a bigger plaque, which will allow for more LEDs. As my good frien El Prenda says, measure twice, cut once.



You put in the LEDs and solder all the components (this is the most involved part and I didn't take many pictures because I was busy soldering)


Here is the completed circuit and the installed light:


And here it is, working, the difference between the position light and the brakeing light. Now noone will be able to say they didn't see me brake!






No comments: