Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Let's find out!

let's find out

That's a sentence that has become a war cry every time I draw my iPhone in the company of others. When I bought the gadget, I didn't imagine all the useful things that could be accomplished with it. I bought it out of a whim. I liked the concept and I could afford it.

But it has surprised me the usefullness I've been able to get from it.

Appart from being able to continue chats once I've left the office, level hanging pictures (yes, seriously), reply to important (or not) emails, here are other examples:


Resolve an argument about the Earth's circumference (where the "let's find out" cry was officially born) or the exact speed of light (Wikipedia).






What do the initials TT exactly stand for in the Audi model? (Tourist Trophy)




Look up the tube map well away from any tube stop and without the paper map.




Find out what's on at the cinema in the middle of a meal to plan ahead.




Photograph your gal's favourite car or a similar jewel.





Send forward examples for a DIY project in order to clarify what is needed.




To be able to show your bike to people who don't know about bikes but want to know which bike you have.




Report traffic violations (thought not legally binding) even commited by real car jewels.




Stay in touch with what your people are doing at all times.






Make phone calls overseas for free (yes, yes, this is Skype through 3G).

All this plus the usual suspects (ever more necessary to my new life), of course: datebook, calendar, tasks, notes, calculator, measure unit converter, music, videos, games and other gadgetry.

And still other examples: sending Xing invitations to potential collaborators you meet in parties. Give directions to people who ask for a street you're not quite sure where it is. And the list keeps on growing! What? Let's find out!









No comments: