Friday, September 28, 2007

Work is not life... right?

I have a good steady cushy job, mainly. It pays well and it's not hard.

Having said that, that also means it's often uninteresting.

The workload has the habit of going from 0 to 100 and then back to 0 on minutes. The best attitude, I've learned, is not to care too much about any particular project. If it comes out, it comes out. If it don't, it don't. Sometimes I forget that and get terribly frustrated and angry at the red tape.

And sometimes the 0 is around a little too long. I try to fill the gaps with things I like to do. I've long lost the appetite to learn new programming languages, new algorythms, new applications,...

I have some benefits, too. Which is a deffinite bonus. Benefits I wouldn't have in a different job, and would deffinitely affect my life if I was to switch jobs.

In any case, jobs are meant to be a means to an end, right?

Well... Yes... and no.

We spend 8 hours a day at our worklaces (ok, some more, some less, details...). In short, 1/3 of 5 days a week. A large lump of our lives.

So, every so often I stop and these thoughts spring up onto me, make me question many things. And it's obviously frustrating.

But eventually, that goes away. I have a good job that pays well, it allows me to do things I like to do, it's not too demanding most of the time. I am very lucky in so many ways.

... but sometimes... just sometimes...

4 comments:

Rakyo said...

Little bastard,
You’re afraid about that someone can shake your world if you make any change.... You're so comfortable with this actually you don't care about what’s going to happen tomorrow....only knows that tomorrow it´ll be another day and you have to be in office spending 8 hours.
As far as I know it's quite often shout about our boring and disgusting jobs.... but normally we don't put hands on to make that world change..... But sometimes we do....... And the results are at least quite different... and your point of view change once and another.... and you really know that the world is continually shaking and you are playing its game.....and you like it... but for the rest of the world, you're the strange thing that leaves the “comfortable world” that means accept their rules and let them absorb your minds…….

Sincerely yours,
Raku

Mark said...

JAJAJAJAJAJA. Point taken.

Your english sucks, but you still got the point across.

All I was saying is that yes, I feel comfortable and yes, I do conform, but yes, sometimes the rebel in me shouts out. But comfort and stability prevail over rebeliousness. After all, as I said, my job is a means to an end, not the end itself.

Rakyo said...

I'm still improving it day by day (my English, I know it's worst than bad).... And that's my last life lesson.... If you don't try it sure you are not going to get it.....

Mark said...

Very true, but it's still my prerrogative to moan about it!