Monday, October 01, 2007

The power of Google

Some days ago I was remembering, not for the first time, some friends I had a long time ago. Friends that, for reasons that don't belong here, I lost. And I thought to myself "Let's see what Google can find of them" and googled their names. It is amazing the results I got back. Even data that should be protected!

Sometimes the "power" of Google frightens me. At least my intentions were honourable.

Long story short. I found a piece of text I believe my friend wrote. I read it and was struck by it's profoundness and by how close it struck, from afar. It is lost in the immensity of the cyberspace and, in all honesty, it does it no justice.

So, even if not many people read this personal blog, I will reproduce it for its own merits which are not mine and I'll honour this discovery to it's own author (Translation mistakes are my own. It's originally written in Spanish):

Discovery



Discoveries are born on the threshold of exhaustion, on the most depressing tiredness, lies and a flavour of vinegar. We discover this new element and we quickly tell everyone, proud and blessed by the mysterious saint of happiness. We bore all known and unknown with the details of our fortuitous encounter with truth, we smile proudly at our own sapiency and, why not, our luck. And we flirt with the beauty of the eternal. Then comes the phase where we investigate this discovery, we understand its inner workings and discover all its mechanisms and nooks and crannies. We analyze, experiment, evaluate, compare and, in a word, we submit it to a cruel and desperate measure in our effort to prove we are the unique, inimitable and perfect discoverers. We lose track of time and space. We don't eat nor sleep and if we sleep, we do it keeping an eye open and our brain overchurning ideas and concepts related to our undefined marvel, both complex and irrational. We dream of our discovery and intimately tie ourselves to it. We are obsessed by it. Until one day, without warning, our discovery is stolen. Someone better, more intelligent, powerful. Someone who has something we don't have even though we may not admit it. So we fight to preserve our patent. Just to keep enjoying the pure and simple investigation, to stay in science's insanity. We fail. And our heart seeks another discovery. One for a lifetime, if possible.

David

No comments: