Thursday, September 11, 2008

A question of motivation

This simple sentence which sprung to mind at the beginning of the year in a moment that... well, be that as it may, it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. The fact is that a simple sentence that came out in a moment of almost humour is actually becoming a way to find meaning to things, a way to explain stuff many times. It's becoming my sentence of the year.

For example, I have a friend which has some doubts about how to confront certain issues in her relationship. That sentence was useful whilst trying to explain, to help her see that relationships are maintained through motivation in both partnerts, be it children, love, family, tradition, mortgage, sex or whatever. The thing is that when there is no motivation the relationship usually won't last that long. Of course there are other factors and this is a simplified view of the matter, but it served to illustrate the point.

Also, in a discussion with a different friend I tried to expose the fact that children are more a question of motivation than money, In this occasion, though, I have a feeling I didn't quite get across, but this is actually common with this particular person ;-) . The thing is that she insisted she wasn't earning enough money to raise a child and I insisted that her motivation to have the child was not strong enough. I tried to support this line of thought with the sentence and went on to explain how there are whole families that can live on what she said she earned. The motivation of raising a child would make her sacrifice other "commodities" in life. It's not an extravagant thought but more of a law in nature (though some *pejorative* may twist that).

... Sadly, as I say, I think I didn't get across.

Again, today, I had the need to use that sentence a couple of times. I have a friend who is in a bit of a pickle at work. It seems the crisis in her line of work is forcing her company to sack people like there is no tomorrow. I tried to reason that if she is so worried she should do something about it, try to move, etc. (please take into account that these are all shortened versions!) but if the worse came to the worse (without diminishing anybody's job), there's always jobs like store cashiers and so on which won't make you rich but will surely get you food.

It seems that ever more often, the average spaniard is not willing to take that kind of job (not something I've come up with but I totally agree) but we are ready to complain about these immigrants "coming here and taking our jobs". But this line of thought probably belongs in a very different blog entry...

I hope to have illustrated a very simple concept with these words: there is a large percentage of our lives in which It's all a matter of motivation. I have a good motivation every day.





No comments: